1. There are plenty of ways to enter a pool. The stairs is not one of them.
2. Never cancel dinner plans by text message.
3. Don’t knock it ‘til you try it.
4. If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck.
5. Always use ‘we’ when referring to your home team or your government.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Don’t underestimate free throws in a game of ‘horse’.
8. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
9. Don’t dumb it down.
10. You only get one chance to notice a new haircut.
11. If you’re staying more than one night, unpack.
12. Never park in front of a bar.
13. Expect the seat in front of you to recline. Prepare accordingly.
14. Keep a picture of your first fish, first car, and first boy/girlfriend.
15. Hold your heroes to a high standard.
16. A suntan is earned, not bought.
17. Never lie to your doctor.
18. All guns are loaded.
19. Don’t mention sunburns. Believe me, they know.
20. The best way to show thanks is to wear it. Even if it’s only once.
These stunning photos come from a recent National Geographic article exploring how our current US system of categorizing race is not only insufficient for a modern, increasingly mix-raced world, but can cause pain for people who don’t fit into tiny boxes. (Although many would argue we’ve always mixed together, we’re just coming from farther parts of the globe to do it today).
In many ways race is about difference and how those differences are codified through language, categories, boxes, segmentation, and even the implicit sorting that goes on in our heads in terms of the way we label others and even ourselves.
Now that race has been proven to be a cultural concept, should we continue to use it to categorize people, or are the creative solutions waiting to be discovered?
Just picking some lemons #itsthelittlethings #moon
Chanel ♥ a We Heart It-on http://weheartit.com/entry/77127892/via/beatrix_galati
A legend in every sense, Coco Chanel influenced the world of fashion and countless designers all over the world with her progressive views on style and clothing. Forever inspiring, cheers to Ms. Chanel.
Discover more chic Chanel pieces on Wantering.com.
Personal work // “Eat Your Fruit!” // Raspberry